Answered by Shaykh Mohammed ibn Haroon Abasoomer (db)
[quote]What is the virtue of spending on one’s family on the day of ‘Aashura and what is the authenticity of the Hadith that encourages this sort of spending?[/quote]
Rasulullah (S) is reported to have said: “Whoever expands his expenditure on his family on the day of ‘Aashura, Allah will inflate his sustenance for the rest of that year.”
This Hadith has been reported by several Sahabah (R), among them are the following:
– Sayyiduna Jaabir (R) (Al-Istidhkaar of Ibn ‘Abdil Barr, vol.10, pg. 140)
– Hafidh Al-‘Iraqi (r.a.) has declared this chain to be par in authenticity with the standards of Imam Muslim (r.a.) (Al-Maqaasidul Hasanah, #1193)
– Sayyiduna Abu Hurayrah (R) (Shu’abul Imaan, # 3515, Al-Targheeb, vol.2 pg. 115-116)
– Classified as Saheeh (Authentic) by: Hafidh Ibn Naasir (ra) (Al-Maqaasidul Hasanah, #1193)
– Sayyiduna Abu Sa’eed Al-Khudry (R) (Shu’abul Imaan, #3514)
– Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn Mas’ood (R) (Shu’abul Imaan, #3513)
After recording the above Ahadith, Imam Al-Baihaqi (ra) comments as follows: “When all the chains of these narrations are gathered, they assume (sufficient) strength.”
– Sayyiduna ‘Abdullah ibn ‘Umar (R) (Al-Afraad of Daaraqutni, Tanzihu Shari’ah, vol.2, pg. 158)
This has also been reported with a good chain as the statement of Sayyiduna ‘Umar (R) (Al-Afraad of Daaraqutni, see Al-Maqaasidul Hasanah, #1193 & Tanzihu Shari’ah, vol.2, pg. 158)
Furthermore, several narrators of this Hadith have been reported to have echoed the following testimony:
“We have tried this out, and have found it to be accurate” (Al-Istidhkar, vol.10 pg. 140)
This further strengthens the credibility of the narration.
‘Allamah Al-‘Iraqi (ra) has authored a detailed treatise on this Hadith in which he has proven its acceptability beyond a shadow of doubt. He has also vehemently rebutted the assumption of Shaykh Ibn Taymiyyah (ra) that this Hadith has no basis. Al-‘Iraqi (ra) – like many others- has expressed his amazement at such an irrational assertion! (see: Tanzihu Shari’ah, vol.2, pg. 158)
Lastly, this Hadith provides an ideal solution during these times of global financial constraint. The extent of expansion in expenditure will naturally differ from one individual to another.
And Allah Ta’ala knows best.
Note: Imam Al-Baihaqi (ra) has written that the practice of applying surma on ‘aashura has been reported by an extremely weak narration. (Shu’abul Iman, vol.5 pg.334)
Based on local moonsighting, `Aashura (10th of Muharram) will fall on Wednesday, January 7th, 2009. For more information, please visit Chicago Hilal.